Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil

So this past week, I was able to spend my favorite holiday with some friends old and new.

My morning started off as usual for a Thursday. Woke up at 8:50, rolled out of bed, put on some clean clothes and headed to The United Methodist Archive. I worked from 9 until Noon, and was able to get my hands dirty with history. I'm currently working on a research project for a organization called MARCHA, a caucus of The United Methodist Church dealing with the Hispanic Americans who follow the denomination. I have the devious task of searching page by page through the United Methodist News Service documents from 1969 to present. So far I have found a few documents regarding the organization, but have been aware that there have been many articles dealing with women's rights...the 1970s was a decade for fellow females!!

Any who, work was fun, I got to go home and rest a bit before heading out to Morristown to meet with a few of my fellow Druids. We went to Hennessey's Washington Pub, a great spot for a pint of Guinness, and some traditional Irish food Year round.  I had the fish and chips special, you can't go wrong with some fried fish and potatoes while drinking a few dark beers! The bar was packed with people of all ages, families brought their children, sons were taking their intoxicated parents home, men were wearing kilts, and there were too many Aran sweaters and green shirts to count.

After a few pints, and some great conversations I then headed West, to a town called Byram, New Jersey with a friend from school. I had promised that I would go out to her neck of the woods and see what the craic was like. After meeting her parents and getting re-pampered, we headed out for a great night out on the town.  We went to a bar called New Jersey Bar and Grill, or the Bag to many of it's local patrons.  It was a great place to spend st. Patty's day. I fit right in with my friend's group of friends and had a great night. I also ran into an college buddy from my undergrad, we shared a shot, and got to say our hellos.  My night was filled with $2 beers, Irish-Car bombs (although I wish that they would call them by another name :( ), shots of Jameson, Guinness, Smithwicks, a few broken glasses, a bunch of laughs and some new friends by the end of the night.

My favorite thing about st. Patrick's day is not about the drinking. It's about the mood that people are in. It seemed that everyone that I had run into that night was in one of the best moods of their life. Maybe I was looking past some who were not so happy, but the day just breathes happiness, cheer and joy. So I wish that everyone enjoyed their March 17th, whether you celebrated the holiday, or not.


Song of the Week:
"Whiskey in the Jar" - The Dubliners

1 comment:

  1. Hi, You don't know me but I just came across your blog when I Googled mine. I thought I was being all unique and creative when I started my blog but it looks like you had the idea too! I have a blog named the exact same as yours and with the same idea behind relating each post to a song. Weird huh? It looks like we have even used some of the same songs! Just thought it was very interesting is all.

    ReplyDelete